03 December 2014

AC_D3: A Change in Age (Part 3)

For the third day of my Advent Calendar, I'm going to be posting the third part of an AtO omake story that I started a long time ago. 

Of course, it's been 2 years since the last update and even though I found my notes about the story, I can't recall the exact details of how I wanted to progress.

So this update is shorter than I would like... but it's an update none the less. 

Here are the previous 2 parts:(Part 1) [] (Part 2)

Warnings: Not a part of AtO. Also, not much happens.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
“Are you excited to go home, your highness?”

Trying not to laugh at how Sakura's ridiculous expressions made Naruto giggle at the front of the ship, Harry glanced at the minister. “I'd like to say yes. But I'm worried. I didn't leave because I wanted to.”

The minister blinked, apparently surprised. “You've become a lot more candid, my lord.”

“I've had to. Konoha isn't big on formality.” Harry said with a practised air as he went over Kakashi and Shizune's instructions for what to say. “And I've enjoyed the anonymity of common life in Konoha.”

The minister rubbed his chin thoughtfully. “Surely there's something you must have missed.”

The impromptu lessons from Shizune told him that he should say he missed his parents or even the glowing plants at night. But before he could put those lessons and thoughts to good use, he blurted, “Dumplings.” Aware of Kakashi's disapproving gaze, Harry continued, not knowing where his sudden surge of confidence came from. “Konoha makes nice pastries. But their dumplings leave a lot to be desired. There's just something missing.”

The minister stared at him for a long moment. Long enough to make Harry doubt himself. But then the minister laughed. A genuine hearty laugh that drowned out the sound of waves against the ship. A laugh that seemed to take everyone by surprise. “You miss Nana's dumplings? She'll be pleased to hear that.”

Kakashi glanced at Harry as the minister laughed and talked about 'Nana', mentioning how she'd been completely distraught after his disappearance and had even left the castle to take care of orphans.

After an elaborate dinner feast on the ship's deck filled where he had to deal with even more tedious conversation with the minister, Harry's brain felt like he'd just been through multiple exams.

Once they were secure in their large cabin, Kakashi said, “Nice touch with the dumplings at the start. He opened up after you mentioned it. How did you come up with that?”

Harry shrugged, watching Naruto twitch in his sleep. “It just felt like the right thing to say.”

“You have good instincts.” Kakashi turned a page of his book. “The minister will probably bring 'Nana' to test your identity when we reach the Land of Light.”

Harry nodded thoughtfully. “Why would he willing to take us into the country if he's not completely sure about his identity?”

“That's what we're going find out,” Kakashi said.

Naruto's twitch turned into a tremble.

Grabbing his own pillow, Harry shuffled to Naruto's side only to pause when he saw Sakura already beside Naruto with a pillow in her hand.

They stared at each other until Naruto whimpered.

Sakura placed the pillow in Naruto's hand. Within moments, Naruto grabbed the pillow in a vice like grip and quietened as he snuggled into the pillow.

They sighed in relief and shared another look.

“You know about his ...pillow thing?” Sakura asked, almost awkwardly.

Harry nodded. “One time he got my arm instead of the pillow.”

Sakura winced even though her eyes lit up in amusement. “Drool?”

“Thankfully not that time.” Harry sighed dramatically. “But one of my couch pillows wasn't so lucky.”

Sakura snorted. “Nothing survives his toxic drool.”

“Now, now,” Kakashi interrupted them. “You both need to get some rest while Sai and I rotate watches tonight. We'll be in the Land of Light sometime tomorrow and you'll need to be ready for anything the minister does.”
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I'll probably change and add things-general edits, names and plot points- later on when I have more chapters for this series.

How has December been for you so far? Are you waiting for your vacation? Are you busy preparing for the holidays?

I'm not completely sure what to do for tomorrow's post. I'm torn between a couple of different ideas. I might have to close my eyes and pick something at random.
Polar

No comments:

Post a Comment